Skip to main content

What do I need to do to apply?

  • Submit an Application for Admission/Readmission.
  • Pay a one-time $25 application fee.
  • Fully and accurately answer all the residency questions on the application and provide a certified birth certificate (or other information) to prove lawful presence in the US if seeking in-state tuition.
  • Submit official, sealed high school/GED transcripts. Opened transcripts are not official and are invalid.
  • Submit official, sealed transcript from ALL colleges attended. Opened transcripts are not official and are invalid.
  • Take the Accuplacer Placement Test or submit valid ACT or SAT scores (applicants must have a valid picture ID to test). Transfer students with appropriate English and math courses may not be required to test.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or HOPE Scholarship/Grant application. The FAFSA is the application for both the Federal Pell Grant AND the HOPE Scholarship/Grant. The application is available online at Visit our website at for additional information. THE SCHOOL CODE FOR NORTH GEORGIA TECH IS 005619.

Do I have to request my transcripts be sent to your school, or will you do that for me?

You are responsible for making the transcript request to your former school. We do have transcript request forms available if you would like to use them.

Can you tell me before I take the time to apply and request transcripts if my courses from my former college will transfer to your school?

Typically, core courses taken at previous colleges that are accredited by an agency that TCSG will allow us to accept will transfer as long as the student made a C or better. Occupational courses taken within the last 60 months will also more than likely transfer as long as a student made a C or better. However, we cannot give definite answers about transfer of credit without actually seeing the official transcript.

Do I have to get my high school transcript since I went to another college?

Yes. Students must provide official high school transcripts unless they have successfully completed a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.

Do I have to get a transcript from my other college when I know nothing from there will transfer to my program at North Georgia Tech?

Yes. North Georgia Tech requires an official, sealed transcript from all colleges attended.

Do I have to pay for an official GED transcript from Atlanta even though I earned my GED at your school?

Yes. You must request that an official GED transcript be sent to our school. We can allow you to start classes with an unofficial GED transcript, but a hold will be placed on your records until we receive your official transcript.

I attended an online high school (or college). Will you take my diploma or credits?**

It depends. NGTC is allowed to accept high school diplomas and GED's awarded through schools who are accredited by one of the following agencies:

  • Regional accrediting agencies which include:
    • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools/Council on Accreditation and School Improvement
    • Northwest Accreditation Commission
    • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Council on Accreditation and School Improvement
  • Georgia Accrediting Commission
  • Georgia Association of Christian Schools
  • Association of Christian Schools International
  • Georgia Private School Accreditation Council
  • Accrediting Commission for Independent Study (note: ACIS merged with the Georgia Accrediting Commission in 2005)
  • Southern Association of Independent Schools
  • Florida Council of Independent Schools
  • South Carolina Independent School Association
  • Texas Private School Accreditation Commission
  • Distance Education Training Council
  • TCSG will accept a high school diploma from a public school that is not accredited by one of the above agencies but is regulated by a school system and state department of education.

The name of the accrediting agency must match exactly one of the agencies above. Many accrediting agencies have similar names, but we are only allowed to accept the ones listed above.

What happens if I don’t pass the Accuplacer Test? Does that mean I can’t come to school next semester?

Accuplacer is a placement exam and is used to determine your strengths in the areas of Reading, Writing, Math, and Algebra. If you do not make the required Accuplacer scores to enter your program, you may be required to perform Short Term Remediation through our Student Success Center, take a Learning Support class, or do some refresher work in our Adult Education Department. Rarely does the Accuplacer exam completely exclude a student from enrolling in classes at NGTC.

My acceptance letter says that I’m coded “out-of-state,” but I’ve lived here my whole life. What can I do to be coded “in-state”?

Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States

Any non-citizen student requesting to pay at the in-state tuition rate will be required to provide verification of their lawful presence in the United States in order to be classified as an in-state student or awarded an out-of-state tuition waiver.

TCSG Procedure 6.2.2p: “Each college shall be responsible for the verification of the lawful presence in the United States of every successfully admitted student applying for Georgia resident tuition status as required by state and federal immigration laws.”

How can a student verify lawful presence?

  • Students who file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and are eligible for federal student aid will have their lawful presence verified as part of the FAFSA process.
  • A clear copy of an original or certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory, A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240). The copy must very clearly show the raised or written seal to be acceptable.
  • A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
  • A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
  • A current U.S. Passport.
  • Unexpired Georgia and select out of state Drivers licenses and state ID cards can be accepted under certain conditions. It must be a Real ID and not contain any of the verbiage in the chart below. If the copy received has the top portion of the card cut off the document will not satisfy lawful presence.
  • A current military ID (service member only, not dependent). Documented using the Confirmation of Review of Military ID Worksheet - A photocopy is not acceptable.
  • A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551). We require both the front & back sides of your Permanent Resident Card to be submitted. It must not expire before the first day of class of the term the student will start classes.
  • Students admitted on an F, J or M Visa will have their lawful presence verified through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
  • Students admitted on any other Visa will have their lawful presence verified through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program.


DL/ID Requirements for Acceptance


Must NOT be marked “FN”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term.” Instruction Permits, Commercial Learner’s Permits, and temporary licenses cannot be accepted.


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term” or “Temporary”


Must NOT be marked “Temporary”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT be marked “Not for REAL ID purposes”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT indicate “T” restriction


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term” or “Temporary”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”

North Carolina

Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT indicate that it is “nonrenewable and nontransferable”


Must NOT be marked “Temporary”

South Carolina

Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT be marked “Temporary”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term” or “Temporary”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


Must NOT be marked “Limited Term”


I was a student at NGTC before, so do I still have to prove my lawful presence in the US?

I mean doesn’t my enrollment before prove that I was a resident back then? Unfortunately, no. Students who have had a break of enrollment since January 2012 must come in under the new law, and therefore must prove residency using one of the items listed above.

How much does it cost to attend NGTC?

A Tuition and Fee Sheet can be found on the NGTC website at and go to: Academic Programs – College Catalog – Tuition and Fees.

What kind of Financial Aid programs are offered at your college?

NGTC offers the HOPE Grant, the HOPE Scholarship, the PELL Grant, the Nelnet Payment Plan, Federal Direct Student Loans, and WIA. To find out more information about these programs, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 706-754-7700, or log on to our website at

How much financial aid will I get? How soon after I start do I get a check?

These questions will need to be addressed to the Financial Aid Office since this differs for every student.

I have heard books are really expensive. How much will they cost, and do I have to pay for them?

The campus bookstore can give you information on the cost of the textbooks needed for your classes. Students who receive financial aid may be able to use a part of their award to pay for their textbooks.

Do I have to have a computer to do my work?

Having access to a computer is required in most programs. Each NGTC campus has computer labs and libraries with computers that students can use to complete their course assignments if they don’t have their own computers.

Admissions FAQs

If you have additional questions, please contact the Admissions office at the campus you wish to attend:

Clarkesville or Currahee Campus:

  • (706) 754-7700

Blairsville Campus:

  • (706) 439-6300

All Campuses: