Free Application for Federal Student Aid
To apply for student aid in the United States, you must complete a form called the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You may click on the following link to complete the FASFA: www.FAFSA.ed.gov
Like NGTC, most colleges make filling out this form a requirement of their admissions process, so it is to your benefit to begin filling it out as soon as possible. Starting early will allow you to take your time and avoid any errors that may delay your financial package. The following section will give you the information necessary to work your way through it.
Need Help Paying for College?
Easy steps to ensure aid is on your account in time for the payment deadline:
- Complete your FAFSA early!
- Pay special attention to the posted financial aid priority deadlines.
- By completing the FAFSA, you have applied for Pell Grant, Federal Direct Student Loans, HOPE Grant/Scholarship, Zell Miller Grant/Scholarship, & SIWDG.
- Check for Unsatisfied Requirements in BannerWeb.
- For current students with a "@my.northgatech.edu" account: BannerWeb SSO
- For new applicants: BannerWeb for Applicants
- This is the fastest way to see if the Financial Aid Office has received your FAFSA, if any documentation is required, what documentation has been received, and if your file is complete.
- Provide the Financial Aid Office with the requested documentation as early as possible!
- Turn in all requested documentation prior to the posted priority deadline to ensure all the aid that you are eligible for is on your account prior to the payment deadline.
- Check Awards in BannerWeb often as the payment deadline approaches.
Step 1: Filling Out the Form
The process of filling out the FAFSA can seem overwhelming. There are a lot of questions to answer, but if you begin by assembling the following information for both yourself and your parents (if you are dependent), it will be much easier:
- NGTC’s school code: 005619
- The previous year’s Federal Income Tax Returns and W2’s
- The information you provide must be for both legal parents, regardless of marital status or gender. A single-sex couple that has not married does not have to share both parents’ financial data unless the partner has legally adopted you.
- If your parents are divorced and not living together, you are only required to submit financial information for the parent who claims you as a dependent. However, if they are divorced and still living together, you must submit information for both.
- If your parents have never been married and are living together, you will need to provide information for both parents.
- If your parents have been widowed or divorced and are now remarried, you will need to provide information for both your biological parents and step-parents.
- Records of untaxed benefits received
- Child support paid or received
- Current bank statements
- Records of savings or other investments, stocks, bonds, mutual funds
- Your FSA ID and password (also your parent's FSA ID and password, if you are dependent)
- If you have never created an FSA ID, go to the FSA ID website at https://fsaid.ed.gov.
- Step by Step instructions on how to create an FSA ID.
***NOTE: The NGTC Financial Aid Office recommends that all parents and students use the IRS Retrieval Tool when filling out the FAFSA. The Tool saves you time because it can prefill the answers to some questions by transferring data from your Federal Income Tax Returns and also reduces the chances of being selected for verification. Or, if you are selected for verification, it will significantly reduce the processing time of your application. Please note that you must have filed your tax returns 1-2 weeks prior to using the Tool if the return was filed electronically, and 6-8 weeks prior if a paper return was filed.
The Retrieval Tool is found in the online FAFSA form. You will be asked a few screening questions, and if you are considered eligible, you will be temporarily transferred to the IRS web site, where you will be asked a few additional questions to authenticate yourself (i.e., prove that you are who you say you are).
****NOTE: The Financial Aid Staff is available to assist you in completing or reviewing your application. However, you must provide the information (tax records, social security information, etc.) used in the completion of the application for them to do so.
Click here to download the NGTC instruction sheet for filling out the form as well as additional resources:
Remember, filling out and submitting this form is free. You should never pay a fee. For information on how to avoid financial aid and scholarship scams, visit the Federal Trade Commission online at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0082-scholarship-and-financial-aid-scams/
Step 2: Check for Unsatisfied Requirements in BannerWeb
- Go to: www.northgatech.edu
- Hover over Current Students
- Under the heading Quick Links, Click on BannerWeb
- Log into BannerWeb using your User ID(910XXXXXX) and PIN
- Click Student Services, then Financial Aid, then Aid Eligibility
- Select appropriate aid year from the drop down menu
- The list of Unsatisfied Requirements will be shown to you
- Click on the requirement to pull up the requested document
- Click on the magnifying glass to view comments or instructions regarding the requirement
Step 3: Provide Requested Documentation, if Necessary
The Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA's for verification. This means that NGTC's Financial Aid Office is required to verify the accuracy of the information listed on your FAFSA. If your application was selected for verification, you will need to provide additional documentation to complete your file. The NGTC Financial Aid Office will notify you via student email and by U.S. Postal Service of the specific documentation that is required. The documentation requirements are also visible in BannerWeb. Please only provide additional documentation, if it was requested.
Possible Additional Documentation:
- Verification Worksheets
- Federal Tax Return Transcripts (for parent or spouse, if applicable)
- Expense Verification Forms
- Official documents to verify independent status (Ward of the Court, Emancipated Minor, Legal Guardianship, etc.)
- Other case specific documentation
***Note: The Department of Education requires the student to provide the Financial Aid Office with Official IRS Tax Return Transcripts. For instructions on how to request Official IRS Tax Return Transcripts: Instructions. Not sure what an IRS Tax Return Transcipt is: View Example Return Transcript.
Once the NGTC Financial Aid Office has received all the necessary documents, please allow up to 14 days to process the documents.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your financial aid status or unsatisfied requirements, please contact your financial aid advisor. If you are unable to view your estimated awards, please go to your nearest campus library or financial aid office and staff will be able to walk you through viewing your information via BannerWeb.
Step 4: Check awards and/or balances in BannerWeb
To check your financial aid status from any computer:
- Go to: www.northgatech.edu
- Hover over Current Students
- Under the heading Quick Links, click on BannerWeb
- Log into BannerWeb using your User ID (910XXXXXX) and PIN
- Click Student Services
- Click Student Records
- Click Account Detail for Term
- Select appropriate semester from the drop down menu
- Financial Aid Awards are listed toward the bottom of the page under the heading "Authorized Financial Aid as of."
****Note: Aid cannot be authorized to your account until you have been accepted to NGTC, your Financial Aid file is complete, and you have enrolled in classes.
Don't forget to Print your Confirmation Page
Once your FAFSA is submitted, you will receive a confirmation page. Print and file your submission in a safe place.