Veterans Affairs Benefits
NGTC Welcomes Veterans!
Veterans’ Benefits will be available both to veterans and spouses as well as children of disabled or deceased veterans. More information is available from area Veterans' Administration Offices at https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/ and is also available in the chapter packets listed below.
How to Apply for Benefits
Applying for Veteran Benefits:
- Apply online at Vets.gov
- Visit your nearest VA Regional Office.
- Call 1-888-442-4551 to request an application be mailed to you.
Applying for Tuition Assistance:
- Seek and obtain approval from ESO, education advisor or installation commander prior to enrolling or submitting an admissions application to North Georgia Technical College.
- Visit www.goarmyed.com to create an account
- Create your "Course Planner" in GoArmyEd
- Register for classes in BannerWeb
- Request Tuition Assistance on GoArmyEd
Veteran's Admission Checklist
Applying for Financial Aid
In addition to VA benefits, Veterans can receive Pell Grant, HOPE Grant or Scholarship, Zell Miller Grant or Scholarship, HOPE Career Grant, Student Access Loans, or Sallie Mae Loans, if eligible.
2019-2020 Financial Aid Priority Deadlines:
Fall 2019 – June 27, 2019 Spring 2020 – November 21, 2019 Summer 2020 – April 23, 2020
- Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility and your DD214 from the Department of Veterans Affairs, submit a copy to NGTC's School Certifying Official so the enrollment verification process can begin. Your entitlement is based on the number of credit hours you are enrolled for per term in addition to your percentage of entitlement.
- At the beginning of each term, the School Certifying Official will certify your enrollment with VA. Add, drops, and withdrawals are reported to VA immediately.
If you are Chapter 30, 35, or 1606, verify your enrollment with the VA.
- For Chapter 35, you must verify your enrollment by calling 888-442-4551.
- For Chapters 30 and 1606, you must verify your enrollment on or before the last day of each month.
- Enrollment Verification can be done by either:
- Online – W.A.V.E. (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)
- Call – 877-823-2378
- Enrollment Verification can be done by either:
- Prior to the beginning of each term, the School Certifying Official will certify your enrollment with the VA. After our Drop/Add Period, the School Certifying Official will invoice the VA for your tuition and fees as appropriate.
- You may not request Tuition Assistance for any class for which you are receiving the GI BILL.
- If you receiving HOPE Grant, or HOPE Scholarship, Tuition Assistance will only cover the portion of tuition that is not covered by HOPE.
- All withdrawal dates are reported to GoArmyEd and VA and awards are prorated, if necessary.
- If a service member withdraws on or before the 60 percent portion of the term, the service member will no longer be eligible for the full amount of Military Tuition Assistance funds originally awarded. For additional questions, please see NGTC’s Tuition Assistance Refund Policy
- If you withdraw from a class, you will probably owe VA money back.
Tuition Assistance Refund policy
Closest VA offices to NGTS’s Campuses are:
- Clarkesville: (706 ) 754-4316
- Blairsville: (706) 745-6341
- Toccoa: (706) 282-4525 *Only open Tuesday & Thursday
You may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if:
- you are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution, but
- meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements, and
- your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
- you were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.
For more details visit: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships/iraq-afghanistan-service
The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year but cannot exceed your cost of attendance for that award year.
The payment procedures are the same as those for the Federal Pell Grant.
Points Of Contact
On Campus Point of Contact for Tuition Assistance Program, VA Benefits, Federal and State Financial Aid, and other Institutional Student Support Services available to Service Member:
- Crystal Dixon - VA Certifying Official
- 706-754-7727 email@example.com
- Our office is open Monday-Thursday from 7:30 am until 6:00 pm. Come by anytime if you have questions. We look forward to assisting you.
VA Benefits Questions
- Log Into VA Account and submit Question
- Call the VA Education Call Center 1-888-442-4551.
Tuition Assistance Questions
Questions can be submitted by submitting a HelpDesk Ticket from GoArmyEd account. https://www.goarmyed.com/
Georgia National Guard-Service Cancelable Loan Program
If you are attending, or planning to attend, a post-secondary educational institution to obtain a Certificate, Diploma, Associate's, Bachelor's, or eligible First Professional Degree Program, you may qualify to have some or all of your tuition paid for through this program. This program is open to traditional Guardsmen (M-Days), AGRs, and Technicians; officer and enlisted. This service cancellable loan is available on a "first come, first served' basis starting on July 1, 2017.
For more information, and/or to apply for the Georgia National Guard-Service Cancelable Loan, please visit: www.gafutures.org/hope-state-aid-programs/military/gng-scl/eligibility/
- Anchor Scholarship - For family members (spouses and children) of qualified Surface Navy Sailors (active or retired who served at least 6 cumulative years in the U.S. Naval Surface Forces, Atlantic Fleet, and/or Pacific Fleet). Learn more at: usascholarships.com/anchor-scholarship/
Georgia HERO Scholarship-For members of the Georgia National Guard and U.S. Military Reservists who served in combat zones, and the children and the spouses of such members of the Georgia National Guard and U.S. Military Reserves. Learn more at: www.gafutures.org/media/187350/hero-application-fy2018.pdf
- For Veterans from the Energy Audit Institute visit: energyauditinstitute.com/veteran-scholarships
For additional information regarding Veteran’s Benefits visit: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/
North Georgia Technical College’s Veteran Certifying Officials are located in the Financial Aid Office of the home campus.